AWAY has three flags, and an optional “away message”. If you specify the “away message”, you become “away”. If you do not specify the “away message”, you become “not away”. If you do not specify a flag, -one is the default.
|away -one I'm Not Here
|Become “away” on the current server
|Become “not away” on the current server
|away -all Eating Dinner
|Become “away” on every server you're connected to, with “Eating Dinner” as your away message
|Become “not away” on every server you're connected to
|away – -This message has dashes-
|Become “away” on the current server (when your message begins with a dash)
When you are away from irc, you might want other people to know about it. You can tell the server you are away from irc, and it will send a message to anyone who tries to contact you.
While you are away:
- If someone sends you a message, the server will send them your away message.
- If someone WHOISes you, the server will include your away message in the reply.
- If someone WHOs you or a channel you are on, your “away” status will be “G” (for “G”one), instead of “H” (for “H”ere).
- If set BEEP_WHEN_AWAY is ON, your display will be beeped each time someone sends you a message.
- You will be AWAY until you run away without an away message.
- The client will resend your AWAY message if you are disconnected and reconnect to a server.
- You can have different AWAY messages for each server.
- Being away on one server does not automatically make you AWAY on any new servers you connect to.
- Some networks don't send your AWAY message after a netsplit, so this is not a reliable feature.
- The traditional (server-side) limit for AWAY messages is 80 characters.
If you don't want to see other people's away messages each time you send them a message, you can load the newaway script (/LOAD newaway) and you will see each person's away message only once.
To mark yourself away:
/away I'm not here right now, I'll be back soon
To mark yourself away on all servers:
/away -all I'm in the shower, back in 10 minutes
To remove your away status on one server:
To remove your away status on all servers:
The away command first appeared in ircII.