The NOTICE command is just like the MSG command, and is used to send a message to another target. Whenever you use msg in response to an irc privmsg (a msg, or a ctcp request), it will be converted into a notice for you.
The IRC protocol implies that all msgs must be replied to with a notice and replying to a notice is forbidden. If you attempt to reply to a notice, an error message will be displayed and the message will not be sent.
All notices, from any target and to any target, which you receive, will be checked for ctcp messages.
- Operator kill notices are hooked by ON KILL.
- Operator notices are hooked by ON OPER_NOTICE.
- All server notices are hooked by ON GENERAL_NOTICE.
- All server notices are hooked by ON SERVER_NOTICE.
Notices sent to you by any other server or by any target on irc are hooked as follows until one of the hooks catches the event:
- All notices are hooked by ON GENERAL_NOTICE.
- Any notice sent to a channel you are on is hooked by ON PUBLIC_NOTICE;
- Any notice sent to you personally is hooked by ON NOTICE;
- Any another notice is hooked by ON NOTICE;
Notices you sent to others will be hooked through ON SEND_NOTICE.
The notice command first appeared in ircII.
# $EPIC: notice.txt,v 1.4 2006/08/29 18:22:56 sthalik Exp $